Monday, May 21, 2012

Unit 5 - Subtle Mind

I think this exercise was much easier to listen to and much more relaxing than Loving Kindness.  the voices were softer and easy to listen to.  I liked the breathing exercises that were involved.  They were much easier to follow and focus on.  I had a much easier time relaxing and this time there was no frustration involved.  This exercise is one I will go back and do again and again.  I believe that the physical, mental, and spiritual wellness work hand in hand.  They sort of compliment each other. I think at the beginning of these exercises I was trying to hard to relax.  In the back of my mind I would tell myself that I had to relax.  The more I tried the more frustrated I got.  This time I waited until the kids were in bed and the house was quiet.  I think timing is important too.  I started doing these exercises just before I went to bed at night.  I found that I was much more relaxed and able to go to sleep.  More important, I found that I was able to shut off my mind and get to sleep faster.  I had been having a difficult time sleeping.  Now I am getting more sleep and an easier time getting up in the morning.  For this I am grateful!

5 comments:

  1. The voices to me were not soothing or calming, same as the last exercise. Maybe I am just so uptight that I am under so much stress, I just can not relax. I liked the idea you waited before bed to do the exercise, maybe I will try that to see if I can relax? Great Post, Jean St.John

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had an easier time focusing and relaxing during this exercise also. I think there seemed to be so many different things and ideas to focus on in the Loving kindness exercise, this one there seemed to be longer pauses and silences, which help me to focus on one thing, instead of trying to bounce around. I tend to get distracted very easily, so if there is constant talking, then my mind starts to wander more.
    I also think you're on to something by doing this exercises right before bed and when the kids are asleep. That is one thing that I also have to deal with, my two children. There is not much quiet or calm time during the day, so I think I will also try to participate in these exercises after my kiddos are down and I can really concentrate and have quiet time. Thanks for the good idea!

    ~Kristin Croake

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna,
    I am so glad that you found this exercise more beneficial. But I am especially happy that you are finding your way through relaxation and meditation. I hope that you can continue to take time for yourself and find ways to unstress and relax in your own way. Good luck and great post!
    Kris Sinclair

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Donna, Your doing so well. Exercise will help you keep motivated, it will change your attitude at work and at home. Also as I was told the time you take for yourself to exercise it is truly your time, and you will be able to destress..Whe your calm the house runs better and the kids behave...
    Stay the coarse and stay positive!!
    Cindi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Timing is probably your biggest influence, as to when you would (or could) perform these practices. Those times when I feel grumpy or irritated a meditative practice is not the first thing I go for. But I must say when you are frustrated with things going on around you, your best solution would be to sit back and try to empty all the contents in your head and start anew, a great way to relax before turning in for the night.

    ReplyDelete